Tuesday 25 June 2013

Father's Day

I know it is a little late but last Sunday we finally got around to celebrating Fathers Days! Here are the cards I made for my Dad and Father in Law.

For this card I used the Build Your Own (BYO) Dragonfly stamp set I love how versatile the BYO sets are they allow you to stamp either the dragonfly or butterfly in any flying position you can think off!

To make this card I started by cutting a background piece of card 1cm smaller than a DL card. I then splodged yellow, green and blue Distress Ink onto my glass cutting mat then spritzed it. Once the ink was really runny I pushed the card into making sure the majority of the card was covered. I then spritzed and repeated for the second card. As you can from the picture above one turned out much darker (bottom) that was the first one I did. I then dried them both using a heat gun.

Once the back ground was dry I stamped the branch from On the Branch along the bottom in brown Distress Ink (I first stamped onto scrap paper after inking so that I got a faded effect!). I then stamped one of the skinny wings from BYO Dragonfly to make the tops of the Bulrushes (again I stamped onto scrap paper first!). Once I was happy with the Bulrushes I distressed around the edge.

I then stamped "With Love On Father's Day" in the bottom right corner using the new sentiments sets from Dimension Stamps (Popular Phases (NC022) and Occasions (NC023)).

Next using brown ink I dragged the edge of my acrylic sheet across the ink pad and pressed in into the three remaining corners of the backing paper to distress/age  the edges even more.  I also added a brad to the three corners.


Once I was happy with the background card I inked up the body of the dragonfly, then decided which way I wanted the dragonfly to face and removed the ink from it's legs, one eye and one antenna (as shown below, the parts removed are shown in green) I find it easier to hold the stamp as if about to stamp it, to remove the ink, so that I can see what it will look like when stamped.


I then added two wings in blue ink to the top of the body so that the dragonfly looked to be side on.


To finish of the card I mounted the stamped card onto some pattered paper and attached string around the top left corner. I then matted this onto a  DL Kraft Craft card that opened at the side. I then added the inside   to the card (I forgot to take a pic!!!!) and secured it using string around the folding edge. Finally I went over the dragonfly with Glossy Accents to make sure he stood out!

I really enjoy working with the Build your own sets as there are no limits to what you can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment